Monday, October 5, 2015

Wringing Out the Sogginess!

Hi, everybody! Yes, we're still here and fine in the middle of soggy Pamlico County. Yes, we are a county that floods badly. No, our house/farm is not flooded. Hooray!

Everything has been canceled today -- schools, work, Bible study, prayer time. I'm not leaving the house. The one road (which is a detour already) that takes us from home to the dryer world has water over it. Last night a driver hit that water, lost control, and his car ended up in the creek.
photo lifted from the county sheriff's office
Poor person! Adam and I had just driven over that patch of road, coming back from New Bern. I knew there was water standing on that road because I'd seen it earlier in the day, so I told Adam to slow down, and he drove in the other lane. In the dark ... there's no way to see it.

All that to say, we're fine. We received much less rain that was forecast, which is such a blessing. No more roof leaks right now, although the damage to plaster and paint is significant, and will need to be redone. (Boohoohoohoo -- I HATE that!)

For those interested, the flooding elsewhere in the county isn't due to rain (although heavy rain exacerbates it). It's due to "wind tide," an unusual feature of living here. A strong, prolonged northeast wind will blow the water from the Pamlico Sound straight into the Neuse River. It shoves the river water up into the creeks, and then into the canals, and around here everybody either lives on a creek/canal or has to drive over several to get anywhere. After days of a stiff northeast wind, the county floods, roads submerge, sink holes develop. Your house might be high-and-dry, but you can't go anywhere.

I'm looking forward to that today! Let the knitting and hot tea commence! God must have listened to my last whiny blog post :)

Love to all. Adam will spend the morning shoveling manure.

8 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Yikes! I'm glad you're okay and that you can enjoy a quiet day at home.

Life on the avenue said...

at least the roof has stop leaking...that is Good news!

Lisa Richards said...

I look forward to hearing that someone has repaired the roof, so you can relax. I actually picked up my knitting needles last night for the first time in a long time. I'm determined to finish that baby afghan so I can start something more advanced. :) Shoveling manure is necessary sometimes. Men seem to like doing that sort of thing, lol. ;)

Dasha said...

What a terrible couple of days you've had. So heartbreaking to see your hard work over the last months damaged by water.

debbie bailey said...

Happy for you getting to stay home!

happyone said...

So much water to deal with when other parts of the country are in a drought!!
Sounds like the best thing to do is stay home. Glad to hear the farm isn't flooded.

Deborah Montgomery said...

Wow -- that's a lot of water!! I do hope you stay warm and cozy there with your knitting and tea. Sounds so much better than what Adam has planned!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I'm glad that you all are ok, and that you had no more leaks.

Enjoy your quiet day at home ~ Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady