Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Candle Within

Everyone anticipated a big winter storm. As often happens in the Real (Deep) South, we got ice, but no snow.
Encapsulating ice. Ice on every twig, but the roads are merely wet, not frozen.

Still, ice is ice, and it's cold out there.
Nobody is prevented from driving, and schools and businesses can continue as usual. No breaks. No vacations. No days off. Just bone-chilling cold and wind. All the discomfort of a winter storm without any of the fun.
Every branch sheathed in ice.
Inside, I light candles to remind me that there is warmth in winter too -- warmth inside.
In February, one must remember the candle within.

6 comments:

Gumbo Lily said...

Oh brrrrrr. I'm supposing that the humid cold is very bone-chilling.

gretchenjoanna said...

I love your icy branches pictures! It's been a long time since I've seen that kind of thing around here - 20+ yrs!

Dasha said...

Beautiful photos. Wish I could lend you some sun. As I can't, you'll have to make do with your candles ;-)

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Brrrrr! At least your roads weren't icy, and hopefull it will all melt soon. A cold front is moving this way, rain expected shortly which will be ushering it down on us. 43 tonight and 40 tomorrow night, and with wind chill it will feel colder. I'll be moving some things to more sheltered locations for the next couple of days.

Candles spread warmth and cheer.

Have a good day ~ FlowerLady

P.S. I want to say a heartfelt thank-you for your wonderfully uplifting comment on my Valentine's day post. It blessed me more than words can say.

Mary Ann Potter said...

Snow in the South is indeed an experience. All we got was about an inch of snow and then some sleet. Never lost electricity, thank the Lord. We still have some thawed/refrozen/thawed again sections of back roads here, so schools in Granville County will probably be closed again tomorrow. We've had our woodstove going non-stop since Sunday afternoon. It surely keeps the house cozy, and we can turn down the heat pump thermostats. My critters are just fine. Now we wait for the temperatures to rise. Soon. Very soon.

Ida said...

Oh I'd much rather drive in snow then on ice any day. Here if we get ice storms they do close school. I like your candle shot.