Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The Hidden Carols

Christmas wouldn't be the same without "Silent Night" and "Away in the Manger." But did you ever long to hear old carols, less familiar, perhaps nearly lost in the shuffle of Christmas each year? Here are a few to delight you. Maybe you'll find a new favorite.
Bambino Divino:


Gabriel's Message, a lovely 4-part a cappella women's arrangement:

All Through the Night:

On to Bethlehem Town:

I Saw a Maiden:
"Drive the Cold Winter Away" ("All Hayle to the Days"), a simple rendering with one instrument, lovely:
And just one more! "O Come, Divine Messiah":

2 comments:

Mary Ann Potter said...

Now it's officially Christmas season! I loved them all, but "All Through the Night" is truly, truly special!

When I was in first grade, my elementary school (public school!) did the Christmas story. I was Mary, and I sang a lullaby to baby Jesus (well played by a doll). We had Joseph, too, with the three wisemen and a couple of angels. Two of the children read from the scriptures as the story continued. Oh, how I wish the public schools were still places where the Lord is welcome. This little collection of music brought it all back. I enjoyed the memory!

Granny Marigold said...

Thank you for these lovely old carols, I especially appreciated hearing the last one O Come Divine Messiah" as I had never heard it in English before having sung it in French in my school days.