Tuesday, September 2, 2014

A Great Joy!

 Last Wednesday evening, a huge event happened in Chattanooga -- a great joy entered our family.

 Our son Philip proposed marriage to his dear girl, Kara. After a date at their favorite restaurant, they went to the beautiful walking bridge across the Tennessee River. It was 10:00. A friend had offered to take photographs, and how glad we are that he did! Of the moment pictured above, Kara said, "I had no clue that he was about to propose. He had not-so-subtly hinted that it was going to be Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday but had led me to believe it was going to be Thursday. At this point he kissed me and told me that he wanted that to be my last kiss as his girlfriend."
 (All these photos by Kenneth Munoz. Find him at http://www.kennethmunoz.co/)

 A spirit of romantic traditionalism is not dead among young adults today. Philip asked Kara's father for permission to propose, back in July. Then he held onto the ring until Kara returned to Chattanooga to ask her, so the event could happen on this bridge, the very place he first asked her to be his girlfriend. (Be still my heart!)
"Will you marry me?"
Of course, she said yes.
I adore this photo. His smile, her body language that says she is indescribably happy. I'm so proud of my boy, and I'm so happy in the woman he has chosen. Most of all, I'm happy in the love they have for each other.
A kiss ...
A break to look at each other and be sure it's real ...
Another kiss ...
This is a GREAT shot -- classic Philip, classic Kara.
A close-up of the ring, now forever on her finger.
We are embarking on a new stage of family life, when we include new members through marriage. What a great joy! Kara's parents' statements about Philip lift my heart and make me feel all those years of parenting were good work. Watching them both patiently make their way through years of dating and college and being apart all summer -- clearly this has increased their love and commitment. Anticipating all the years ahead of them is amazing to me. It rather puts my own marriage in its proper place -- no longer the youngest married ones in the extended family. The spotlight has shifted thankfully to a new generation of beautiful young people, trained up in love for God and understanding of their roles in marriage, the joys there, the sorrows there, the steady nurturing that marriage requires.

You know me. I could go on and on. Suffice it to say, our oldest child is marrying, and we are both thrilled. Welcome, Kara! God bless you both! May He give you all the strength you need to meet the challenges of marriage, so you may reap all its treasures as well. May your love for each other never flicker out. May your desire to serve each other grow stronger. And as Adams says, may you shepherd each other into heaven. There is no greater joy.

10 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Aw! I have happy tears for you and for them! Blessed be!

Mary Ann Potter said...

Congratulations and blessings to y'all! M.K., you will love being a mommy-in-law!

Leslie said...

Congratulations! I got teary eyed reading your words and what absolutely adorable photos. They both look like sweet, gentle souls. So thrilled for you and your family!

Kezzie said...

Wretched comment didn't save!!! Much love to you and your beautiful family! I felt like I was there- feeling the love!x

melissa said...

This is so sweet. Happy for all of you. :) Your first DIL. How exciting. But I have to ask...how do you sneak in a photographer?!!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

What joy! Congratulations to all!

Deborah Montgomery said...

Oh, M.K., this is so sweet and precious! Congratulations to you all! What a wonderful time for your family!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

congratulations to you all...happy days...

Nancy said...

MK, this is just thrilling - and inspiring! Your heart must be busting at the seams! It looks like you have raised a terrific son and now your family is growing. You will be an awesome mother-in-law! =)

Unknown said...

Philip had it all planned out! The photographer (and a few friends) were waiting in an ice cream parlor just off the walking bridge. I was so enthralled with being near him again after the long summer that I didn't even notice anyone was paying a bit of attention to us. We turned around after the proposal and I spotted what looked like a camera. I thought it was just a random person taking pictures, turns out it was planned!!