Monday, August 18, 2014

Hail, Lime Julius!

Susa Branch calls this Basil Lemonade, which is a fun name. But since you hardly taste the basil, and there are no lemons ... well, I chose a new name. The flavor that kicks you in the teeth in this recipe is LIME, and lots of it!
My photo is NOT as pretty as Susan Branch's.
Begin with a simple syrup, and here's where the limited basil makes its entrance.
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
4 healthy, fresh basil leaves

Heat this on the stove and then cool in the frig.

Pour it into your blender, add:
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
4 limes chopped in quarters
2 cups cold water


Then pulse your blender on high until the limes are cut up nicely.

Pour the entire mass through a sieve into a container or large-mouth pitcher.
Add another 2 cups of cold water into the blender to swish it out, and pour that water through the sieve also, and mash the pulpy mass of limes with a spoon so you get ALL the flavor from them into your drink.
If you drink it straight, without the crushed ice,
it's a wee bit strong.
Chill well in the frig, and serve over crushed ice if you have it.

3 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Spunky! I love lime in small doses. Susan Branch is such a nice cook, isn't she? Hospitality is always at the forefront with her.
I hope your Monday is laced with cheer and peacefulness, MK!

Mary Ann Potter said...

Any recipe from Susan is going to produce great results. Your post made me want to go back to her summer cookbook (love it!) and find more yummy things. This looks great. I have lots of beautiful basil in my garden. And anything with condensed milk is perfect!

Leslie said...

I would like to try a sip of that! I've had a difficult time finding good limes this summer. Some catastrophe I can't remember has happened to them. But I do love them so. :(