Sunday, September 14, 2008

If we're not eatin'

We're not meetin'. That's the unofficial ARP motto :)

[ARP, for those who don't know, stands for Associate Reformed Presbyterian, which happens to be the church denomination we belong to. Nice people. Love to eat.]

Today was our church's 43rd birthday and Homecoming Sunday. We did fun music (a jazzy version of "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms") and had a HUGE covered dish afterward. I did wish ardently that I had a camera to let you see the dessert table. Oh my. There must have been about 20-25 items there, cakes, pies, trifle, gooey chocolate, cookies. And the casseroles, salads, etc. As I get older, I like the casseroles better, and the sweets less.

I took this dish. It's so easy, and I LOVE the flavor. This is Paula Deen's:

Corn Salad

2 cans of whole kernel corn, drained
2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
1 cup of mayonnaise (yeah, you read that right)
1/2 cup of chopped green pepper
1/2 cup of diced red onion

Mix these thoroughly and chill in the frig.
Then, right before serving, add:

1 9/5 oz. bag of Fritos, the Chili Cheese flavor. The flavor is important

The corn/cheese/onion flavor combination is wonderful, and the added crunch of the Fritos is yummers.

Unfortunately, today my corn salad had the unappreciated location of being well beyond 1/2 way down the food table. At covered dishes, the first 6 dishes or so, are scraped bare by the end. The further down the table you go, the more leftovers there are. But everyone is so stuffed after the first plate or so, that the leftovers are . . . left over.

Well, I'll enjoy it myself :)

Adam made his matzo bread, and I added a chocolate chess pie to the sagging dessert table.

1 comment:

Marie Reed said...

That sounds realy delish! Francois doesn't eat cheese! That means more for me!